Tuesday, November 30, 2010

From Vent to Diaphragmatic Pacing System -- Part IV

For more on my pursuit of the NeuRx Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) see Part I, II, or III.

I've been approved for concurrent surgeries (i.e. one trip to the operating room for me) -- and met the two doctors who will perform them!  I also learned more about what the surgeons will actually do.

First, Dr. Duran will replace my cardiac pacemaker.  Second, Dr. Cheatham will install the DPS.  Then Dr. Duran will return, and they will ensure there's no interference between the two devices (no previous patient has had interference).  Both doctors will try to set the respective devices optimally for me (they can adjust the stimulus strength, frequency, etc).

Also, we're going to try doing it as true outpatient, i.e. have surgery early in the morning, and (hopefully) be discharged that afternoon.  That's BIG, because it should help limit my chance of acquiring an infection, and the schedules for my caregivers and me will require little altering.  My home health agency will help get my blood back to a therapeutic level.

We're trying to setup surgery for January or February (2011) -- stay tuned!

Bill Miller :-)
C1-2 Quadriplegic with a 221 High Bowling Game
Co-founder of Manufacturing Genuine Thrills Inc. d/b/a MGT
Business website: http://www.ikanbowler.com

No comments: